Hickman, Jessie


Elizabeth Hickman stood nearly six foot tall. She was a big brawny woman who could fight like a threshing machine. She dressed like a man and carried a gun. Mrs Hickman arrived in the Nullo Mountain area of NSW in the 1920s.
Mrs Hickman excelled in doffing stock and despite these activities, the people of Nullo Mountain respected and liked the newcomer which was most unusual because they normally did not take kindly to intruders.
Ref: STOCKMAN’S HALL OF FAME, MARCH 1993

I remember my Grandmother talking about Jessie Hickman when I was a child. 
One story was of Jessie & Andy Black holding up my Grandfather on Nullo, hitting him behind the ear with a lump of wood. When he came to all his cattle had disappeared. They were dairy cattle mix as he had a dairy & milk run in Rylstone.
Ref: Shirley Tunnicliff

1 comment:

  1. I remember my Grandmother talking about Jessie Hickman when I was a child. One story was of Jessie & Andy Black holding up my Grandfather on Nullo, hitting him behind the ear with a lump of wood. when he came to all his cattle had disappeared. They were dairy cattle mix as he had a dairy & milk run in Rylstone.

    ReplyDelete